Pages

August 6, 2018

The Protector - Mixed Media ACEO


The Protector
2.5" x 3.5"
Mixed Media on Illustration Board
(click on the above image for purchase information)

The story behind this one is very sad and difficult to share. It took me about 2 months to even be able start on it. I was out walking my dog one bright and sunny afternoon when I heard some birds arguing with each other. When I saw what was going on I ran as fast as I could but I did not make it in time. It was a crow attacking a robin. It made no sense, I'd never seen anything like it before. When I saw the robin fledgling hopping on the ground nearby I knew that the crow must have been trying to go after it. An internet search later on told me that this is not uncommon. I don't know if the adult robin was it's mother or father but it gave it's life to save the little one. 
On the bright side, I was able to make it in time to continue to protect the young one until it could find a safe hiding place. Then the other adult robins who were also trying to help, managed to keep the crow away.  It was a heartbreaking moment for me and this little artwork is my way of healing and bringing honor to a hero that gave their life. Even if they were only a bird.




No comments: