Pages

February 7, 2014

Greener Pastures

http://www.dailypaintworks.com/fineart/sandra-willard/greener-pastures/199395
"Greener Pastures"
9" x 12"
Mixed Media

I haven't really described what kind of materials I use with my mixed media art before and I thought that this one might be a good one to start with.  Here is a summary of the art materials I used:
  • 140lb Strathmore Watercolor Paper
  • Derwent Inktense Pencils
  • Tim Holtz Distress Markers
  • Sakura gel pens
  • Zig Millenium pens
  • Copic Sketch markers 
  • Liquid Pearls
  • Richeson Casein
I first start out with a very rough sketch to determine where I'm going to put each element.  Then I develop a line drawing in ink on the watercolor paper.

I use a watercolor paper pad/block because I know that I will be using water based art materials that will cause the paper to warp otherwise.  The paper is cold-pressed.  I haven't tried hot-pressed or mixed media paper yet but I'm thinking that I will soon.

Then I fill all of the major areas in with color.  For this piece I used Derwent Inktense pencils.  This was my first piece created using Derwent Inktense pencils and I love them!  The pigment truly is "inktense" and I did not have to apply more than 2 or 3 glazes to get the color saturation I wanted.  Here are my color notes as I worked on the piece:


I used some Copic markers for shading or color correcting little spots but for the most part left them alone.  I discovered that when I went over the Copic marks with the Inktense pencils that it did some unexpected color shifting.  Which I didn't intend but is great to know for future experimentation.

The Distress markers were also used very little for this piece (but they were all I used for the smaller version of this image called "Loretta's Farm").  I love them though and will continue to use them in my mixed media work.

After all the color is added I then work on the patterning.  I use either ink or gel pens for this step.  I also use Liquid Pearls for some little added touches but did not use it very liberally this time.

Lastly, when I mess up, and I messed up, I use Richeson's Casein to fix it.  I didn't like the detail work I did on the middle ground bush and the green bush on the left so I painted over them with the Casein and created them again.  I love Casein and plan on using it a whole lot more.

I hope I wasn't too wordy here and please let me know if you have any questions about anything I mentioned or might have missed.


No comments: